Disposal means the discharge, deposit, injection, dumping, spilling, leaking or placing
of a material into or on any land or water so that such material, or any constituent
thereof, may enter the environment or be emitted into the air or discharged into any
waters, including groundwaters; or the incineration of any material, so that such
material, is emitted into the air.
(2) Storage means the containment of any material on a temporary basis.
(3) Treatment means any method, technique or process, including neutralization, designed to change the physical, chemical, or biological character or composition of any material, so as to neutralize such material or render it nonhazardous or nontoxic, safer for transport, amenable for recovery or storage, or reduced in volume. The term includes any activity or processing designed to change the physical form or chemical composition of material, to render it nonhazardous or nontoxic.
(4) Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCB and PCB's) are defined for the purpose of this Division as any chemical substance that is limited to the biphenyl molecule that has been chlorinated to varying degrees, or any combination of substances which contain such substances. The terms refer to any chemical substances and combinations of substances that contain greater than fifty (50) ppm (on a dry weight basis) or greater of PCB's and any container, piece of electrical equipment, item or other device or material which either deliberately or unintentionally contains, includes as a part of it, or has been in direct contact with any PCB or PCB's at a concentration of fifty (50) ppm or greater. Any chemical substances and combination of substances that contain less than fifty (50) ppm of PCB's because of any dilution shall be included as PCB and PCB's. Substances that are regulated by this Division include but are not limited to dielectric fluids, contaminated solvents, oils, waste oils, heat transfer fluids, hydraulic fluids, paints, sludges, slurries, dredge spoils, soils, materials contaminated as a result of spills, other chemical substances, or combinations of substances, including impurities and by-products, capacitors, transformers, contaminated containers, and any other contaminated item, device or material.
(5) Area Of Special Concern means a school, day care center, nursing home, grain elevator, public building or auditorium, hospital, church or theater.
Any person found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be in violation of this Division shall be fined not more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) and/or imprisoned for not more
than six (6) months for each violation. Any corporation, partnership or other legal entity found
by a court of competent jurisdiction to be in violation of this Division shall be fined not more
than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) per violation, and any officers of such a legal entity
found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be knowingly in violation of this Division shall be
fined not more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) and/or imprisoned for not more than six
(6) months for each violation. Each day's violation shall be construed as a separate offense.
(Ord. No. 85-381, adopted 04/18/85)
SECS. 11-064.01 - 11.065.99 Reserved